WINTER STORM SAFETY IN OHIO
Winter storms can develop at any time in Northwest Ohio and Allen County . The Emergency Management Agency offers the following:
SAFE WINTER DRIVING TIPS . . .
- If you have a cellular phone available for your use, keep the battery charged and keep it with you whenever traveling in winter weather.
- Keep a windshield scraper and small broom in your car for ice and snow removal.
- Keep your vehicle's gas tank full for emergency use and to help increase your car's traction.
- Plan long trips carefully, travel during daylight when possible, and let someone know your destination, route, and expected arrival time.
- Put together a disaster supply kit for the trunk of each vehicle to include blankets, small shovel, pocket knife, jumper cables, tools, flashlight and batteries, bottles of water, first aid kit, small bag of sand, and a brightly colored cloth.
IF YOU BECOME STRANDED . . .
- Stay with your vehicle
- Call 9-1-1 on your cellular phone
- Display a trouble sign
- Run your engine 10 minutes per hour to stay warm, remember to crack open windows while car is running
- Use newspapers and maps for added insulation
- Drink fluids
- Take turns sleeping